Monday, April 12, 2010

A weekly post...

...and here it is! No pictures, sorry. I do have some to post, but I just don't have the patience to upload and re-arrange right now. If anyone knows of an easier, quicker way to upload pictures, (Becca from "The Paro Post" always has a ton of pictures that are larger in size...I have to say I wish my blog were as high-tech and pretty as yours!!)and enlarge them, I'm all ears!
As far as the actual picture-taking goes, I've become increasingly frustrated with myself and my lack of knowledge for my new DSLR camera. I made an investment on the camera, an extra lens, the UV filters, a bag...and plan to add a speedlight and an additional lens in the future...and I feel that I'm doing myself a dis-service to not learn more about this amazing piece of equipment.
My pictures aren't terrible, at least in my mind, but I miss a good amount of potentially adorable shots because my settings aren't right. I end up with blurred pictures because of camera shake, or an extremely dark picture even with the ISO settings up to 1600 (which then leads to a grainy product). I refuse to use the flash unless it is absolute neccessity (or if the shots I'm trying to catch are too precious to possibly miss...like Hannah's birthday party...I PROMISE to finish that post in the near future!)
Anyway, I've been trying to find a good online course on amateur photography. I've found one that I'm really interested in, but it comes with a small price tag ($14.99) and I really want to make sure it's legit (I've done some research and it appears that it is...type in DSLR guide in the google browser and it should pull it up). I liked this particular lesson plan because it allows the student to have as much time as needed to complete the lesson. This is what I need. There are few ocassions when I have a minute to actually sit and read, let alone absorb and retain the information I'm reading.
Speaking of me being highly distracted...:) Hannah is walking all over the house! She's still most comfortable holding onto the wall, her push-toy, and most preferably, one of my hands, but she's getting there! The other night, she walked almost the whole way around our dining room table before she realized she was on her own and promptly found a seat on the floor.
I can't believe she'll be 13 months old on the 22nd. Where did the time go?! Last year at this time she was just a few weeks old. I still can't believe she's all mine and I get to raise her and watch her grow for the rest of my life! What a priveledge and an honor!
Well, it's getting late, so I'm going to spend the last few minutes of my day with Micah. He's such a good husband and I cherish the time I get to be with him! :O)
Have a wonderful night and a blessed week!

2 comments:

  1. I apologize for the numerous mis-spelled words. I did do a spell check, but for some reason it didn't save the corrections. It's late, I'm tired, and too lazy to go back and fix it now! Enjoy anyway! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks so much for mentioning me! My best advice is seriously to just use ALL natural light, always. Speedlights and Lightscoops are great, but natural light will always make for the best pictures. Also, I almost always use my 50mm rather than the kit lens. If you have the nifty 50, try to use that when shooting your daughter!

    You can shoot in Auto or P (basically, Auto without a flash) but try to teach yourself how to shoot in manual. Put an item in front of an open window and play with the settings until you get it just right.

    For me, when I shoot Jax with my 50, I always have the settings as follows (read your manual if you're unsure of what these terms are) Shutter Speed: 1/100, Aperture: 1.8, one shot, and adjust the ISO according to how light or dark you are shooting in. Does that make sense?

    I am still a novice, but I am trying to learn as best as I can!

    GL, and it looks like you're doing a great job! Hannah is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete