Thursday, December 2, 2010

Awesome generosity...and a ton of static cling.

Yesterday was the 1st of December, which means I'll most likely be having a baby THIS month! It was my first day back to work after Thanksgiving break, and I was feeling pretty good, despite the ever-increasing pressure that baby Sarah puts on my cervix.
Making my lunch for the day, I happened to glance out the kitchen window to find an inch of snow had descended on our neighborhood throughout the night. It was the pretty kind of snow. The kind that gets stuck beautifully on every tree branch and wire. Although it was just the 1st day of December, we had ourselves quite the winter wonderland!
So, I bundled up the belly as best I could with a non-maternity pea coat and set off for the school.
I soaked in the sights on the drive there, admiring God's creation covered in a blanket of heavenly white fluff...and I may have searched the radio for a Christmas song...or two...or three. It felt good to have made it this far into the pregnancy after our little scare a few weeks back. Baby is still cookin', and that means she's continuing to grow and be nourished in the best possible place for her.
When I got to school, I settled into my desk, went over the paperwork that had found it's way there, and prepared for my classes.
Stacey, the PT I work with began filling me in on the events of Tuesday, as all of the students and staff returned back to work then. She told me that new equipment had arrived and that I needed to look it over.
New equipment? For who? I was totally confused. She led me to the storage room, then redirected me to the planning center and shoved me in...where I found 22 of my coworkers seated around the big table which had been covered in a pink tablecloth, streamers, and baby confetti.
Overwhelmed? Yes. I almost cried, but pulled myself together rather quickly to take it all in. There was cake, cupcakes, chocolate favors from Rosalind's candy castle (of all places!), and pink and white M & M's...and gifts. They bought me gifts...
When I say I have the absolute best coworkers in the world, it's still an understatement.
I was served a piece of cake, then handed present after present, and card after card that held outfits, diapers, a new baby bouncer (because my little adventurous Hannah broke hers at the ripe age of, oh, 6 months), books, a homemade quilt that matches our girl's nursery to a tee, gift cards for Walmart and Babies R Us, a robe for me to wear in the hospital...and even a few things for the big sister.
My coworkers are awesome. I said "thank you" a million times, but it just doesn't seem to cut it. I'm still shocked at their generostiy and thoughtfulness and I don't know where to begin to thank them.
We so needed newborn diapers. With all of the snow and sleet, I've been camping out in the house and haven't had the opportunity to stock up. I have my first box and now feel at ease about welcoming our new baby at any time.
So today I'm going through all of the gifts to organize baby things into drawers. We still don't have a moving date (which is extremely frustrating when your 9 months pregnant and Christmas is just three weeks away), so I can't really hang things up in the closet just yet.
One thing I hate about this time of year? Static. Hannah's hair resembles that of Albert Einstein's despite my many attempts to tame it.
I've wet it, put it in a pony tail with multiple clips, and have been trying to keep it slicked back since. It's a disaster. And the continuous rubbing of her head on our microfiber couch doesn't make matters any better. That, combined with the mylar balloon she's become so attached to makes for a very staticy mess. If she shocks me one more time, I'm sure I can generate enough electricity to light a Christmas tree. It's a shame I can't put one up right now. Darn underwriters. Process my new mortgage loan already.
That's it for now. Maybe I'll upload some pictures tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment