Monday, March 1, 2010

Here's to the start of a new week...

...well, almost. I know Sunday is technically the start of a new week, but I start my weeks on Monday, when Micah returns to work. This morning, Hannah woke up around 8:00 (yay!) and immediately began calling for "Dada". I jokingly begged him to stay home with us today, but I knew he couldn't. Hannah really seems to miss him after a nice, relaxing weekend of having him at home.

Hannah woke up in a fantastic mood this morning, so we spent a good bit of our time playing in bed until we ventured downstairs to start breakfast. I popped in a sermon, and Hannah scurried around in her walker for about an hour while I ate and got her breakfast ready.

As normal, however, our happy morning was cut short by a "poo". Without being too graphic, Hannah has had constipation issues since she was four months old. With the start of rice cereal, our troubles began. Not only was she horribly constipated, she was vomiting LARGE amounts daily. Needless to say, I stopped the rice cereal and we went back to exclusively breastfeeding. The vomiting stopped (thank God!), but the constipation has continued to be an issue for her.

Hannah usually has at least two servings of prunes daily, plus either pear or apple juice, PLUS an ocassional dose of Lactulose (a prescription to aid in relieving constipation). I rarely give her the Lactulose because I would rather find a natural way to solve this problem.

Even with all of the above remedies, she still struggles daily to go. She strains for what seems like forever, and then cries (in pain, I'm guessing). So, like any concerned first time mama, I called the pediatrician for the gazillionth time since this problem started. Thankfully I did schedule an appointment for her on Wednesday.

My only concern is that they will want to do testing. I'm all for finding out if there is a problem (which I am TOTALLY believing and praying that there is not...I layed hands on her little belly this morning and commanded her little digestive system to work the way God intended it to!) but I don't want to put her through a bunch of testing. I am believing God with my whole heart that this is absolutely nothing. It is comforting to me in a way to know that I apparently struggled with this same issue until I was old enough to remember even now. I'm hoping it resolves itself and we can move on to normal "poo-ing".

Once the events of the morning are over, Hannah turns back into the happy baby that I know and love!

I snapped a few pics of her playing this morning after her bath. I love the way her hair looks! All of the little fly-aways and soft baby curls melt my heart! I know she's mine, but really, is she not the most adorable baby?! ;)

I also managed to get Hannah down for a nap without nursing! It's bittersweet to me. She's now down to three sessions a day (if she continues to go down for her first nap without nursing). Micah and I are more than ready for another baby, and I know my chances of conceiving while I'm breastfeeding are much slimmer. Plus, if I do become pregnant, I'm more than likely going to have to wean Hannah, so I'd rather do it gradually while I can. I do tear up a little when I think that one of our nursing sessions together could be our last. I know it's normal and it's part of the "growing up" process, but she still seems so little to me. She will always be my baby, and will always hold a special place in my heart as my firstborn.

I know I've said it before, but I never knew I was capable of loving someone this much. I read once that having a child is like having your heart outside of your body. This is so true and exactly what it feels like. If she's happy, I'm overjoyed. If she's sad, I'm sad and want to fix it and make it better for her. I am just so thankful that God has given me the priveledge of being her Mom. He could have picked anyone, but thankfully, He picked me!

No comments:

Post a Comment