Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'm back to work.

I failed to mention previously that I returned to work two days a week last Monday. It's been a bit of an adjustment after almost 12 weeks of maternity leave, but I'm starting to get back into a routine.
I thought returning after the second baby would be easier than with the first. I was wrong. Sunday evening, I started putting together an outfit, collecting all of my pump parts and accessories, and finding the right pair of shoes that have been buried in my closet since we moved.
When I stress, I tend to go a little overboard with preparation. For example, I started packing my lunch for the next day during Hannah's nap at 3:00. Really? Micah wanted to take the babies out, but I declined, stating I still had too much left to do. There really wasn't much left to do, but I had to make sure everything was in order, so as to not add any additional stress or emotion for the following morning. I knew there would be enough of that as I kissed Sarah goodbye before heading out the door.

I ironed, layed my clothes out, got everything packed up, starting thinking up ideas for PT classes for the following day. My mind wouldn't stop.
As I anticipated, none of us got much sleep Sunday night. It's as if the babies knew I would be leaving them with Grammy the following day. Hannah, who has been an excellent sleeper since day one, was up FOUR times. At 2:00AM, she was so upset that Micah and I both huddled in her room for over 15 minutes...and of course, she just wanted her mama.
Sarah, who has also been an amazing sleeper, decided to party like a rockstar at 3:00 and 4:30AM. So, needless to say, I was pretty tired when the alarm sounded for work Monday morning.
I showered, did my hair and makeup, nursed a still sleeping Sarah, dressed, and headed to the kitchen to pack my lunchbag.
Micah joined me in the kitchen, offering me his support, assuring me the girls would be just fine with Grammy. Afterall, Sarah takes a bottle of pumped milk, unlike Hannah who wouldn't. That was one less concern for me!

Kissing Sarah before I walked out the door proved to be a mistake. The tears came, but suprisingly, I was able to shut them off as I pulled out of the driveway.

I love my job, so once I arrived to work, greeted by my coworkers, I was fine. I called home a few times to check in and of course, Grammy gave me a good report. I'm so thankful I have my Mom and husband to care for my girls while I work my two days. I know they are in good hands for the few hours I'm gone during the week and that helps to lessen the blow of being absent from them.

And afterall, three months of summer vacation is only 22 more working days away! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment