Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Two months and counting...

Sarah had her two month well-baby check up today. I had been dreading it for the past week. I couldn't get the memory of Hannah's reaction to her first immunizations out of my head.
The appointment went very well. Sarah is as healthy as can be and is thriving. She's now up to 10 lbs 6 oz and has grown 3 inches since birth, topping out at 23 inches. The doctor said she looked great and we had nothing to be worried about.
As soon as the doctor walked out of the door, I had to pick Sarah up and rock her because I knew what was coming. As usual, we waited and waited until the nurse brought in 'the tray'. During these several minutes, the thought ran through my head more than once to run out the door and high-tail it home...afterall, would they really notice?
I am not anti-vaccination, as I don't believe they are the culprit behind autism, etc. It's just so hard to watch your child be in pain. I did the responsible thing and we stayed put, me rocking and singing little prayers into Sarah's ear as we waited.
Sarah had just fallen asleep and was not happy about me having to lay her down on the table. She had already begun crying and it made my heart sink even more. For some reason, it seemed to be harder this time around than with Hannah, perhaps because I knew what was coming.
The nurse first administered the oral vaccination for Rotavirus, and Sarah was taking it well. Then it was time.
I braced myself and put my forehead right up against Sarah's as the first needle pricked. I didn't watch, but knew by her face that the first one was in. The wails began and I tried not to cry myself.
The nurse informed me the second would sting a little more, so I braced myself once again and sang "Jesus help her" into Sarah's little ear.
I've never heard her cry like that before and it hurt my heart. I immediately picked her up to soothe her.
It took several minutes of the most precious cries before Sarah calmed down enough for me to buckle her into her car seat. I just couldn't wait to get her in the car and take her home where it was "safe".

She's doing fine now, as I knew she would. I know her little legs are sore, as she winces and cries when they are moved or bumped. We've spent most of the day cuddled together as she sleeps. My poor little one.
And to think, I have to do this all over again in just two weeks with Hannah. I think I'm going to have Micah take her so I don't have to watch it two times this month.

We're all laying low today and spending time inside. It's sunny and bright with a bit of wind, but the temperatures haven't climbed above 40. I did sneak out and take a few pictures, none of which were post-worthy. One of these days I'll be able to get outside at the right time of day and get a few decent shots of the objects I've been eyeing up. I can't wait for spring, as I'm sure it will bring more photo opportunities and allow for a more creative genre.
I'll end with that as I have a sleeping baby I'd like to cuddle with.

No comments:

Post a Comment